We require that each and every PPOW member take a Pledge of Nonviolence when participating in People’s Party of Washington (PPOW) actions, events, and activities.
As part of that Pledge, we ask that our members understand the goals of the nonviolence movement, as described below.
Goals of Nonviolence
Understanding that the goals of the nonviolence movement holds that:
- Nonviolence is a way of life for people. It is active nonviolent resistance to evil. It is aggressive spiritually, mentally, and emotionally.
- Nonviolence seeks to win friendship and understanding. The result of nonviolence is redemption and reconciliation. The purpose of nonviolence is the creation of the Beloved Community.
- Nonviolence seeks to defeat injustice, not people. Nonviolence recognizes that evildoers are also victims and are not evil people. The nonviolent resister seeks to defeat evil, not people.
- Nonviolence holds that suffering can educate and transform. Nonviolence accepts suffering without retaliation. Unearned suffering is redemptive and has tremendous educational and transforming possibilities.
- Nonviolence chooses love instead of hate. Nonviolence resists violence of the spirit as well as the body. Nonviolent love is spontaneous, unmotivated, unselfish, and creative.
The Pledge of Nonviolence
Below is the Pledge of Nonviolence with which all PPOW members must agree to comply.
As a member of PPOW I will pledge to:
- Conduct myself in accordance with the goals of the nonviolence movement (as described above)
- Refrain from violence or participation in violence of any kind
- Observe the ordinary rules of courtesy with friend and foe
- Police my own actions, not those of others
- Protect the safety and agency of others
- Follow the directions of PPOW leadership and captains regarding demonstrations, actions, and other events and activities